My father tells me a story of a man who won a helmet in a raffle.
As people were congratulating him, the man became sad.
When asked why he was sad, the man said, “Now that I have a helmet, I should buy a motorcycle. Once I have a motorcycle, I should install a basket and some motorcycle accessories. So the helmet was not really free. Sure the helmet is free, but everything that comes with it is NOT.”
The same goes with buying a car —
Even if it was gifted, you still have to pay for:
- Gasoline: This costs us ₱2,000-3,000 for a full tank
- Driver’s license and car registration
- Insurance: Our car costs us ₱15,000 annually
- Maintenance: Change oil, add performance
- Accessories: Alarm, led lights and what not
- Parking space: ₱50 per entry if in the mall
- Parking space at home: ₱2,500 to ₱5,000 monthly if you have to rent
What’s more, since you have a car, you have no excuse not to drive your family and friends dueinf the weekend.
The price of a car is not only the price of the car itself. Once you buy a car, it’s like buying a liability. While there is an initial euphoria of owning a car, you will be like a frog immersed in boiling water, being killed day by day.
To be honest, I don’t drive.
So I always get driven around by others in their own car.
I don’t pay for all the stuff car owners have to pay for.
I grab all the time which is still way cheaper than buying a car
Yes, it’s great to buy a car. But it SUCKS to own one. Remember this when someone gives you a car.